INTERNATIONATIONAL VIOLIN COMPETITION
The non-governmental association “Club UNESCO Leonardo da Vinci Sofia” organizes the Fourth International Violin Competition “VASCO ABADJIEV” Sofia – Bulgaria 2017, under the Patronage of the Ministry of Culture with support of Sofia Municipality and National Music School “Lyubomir Pipkov”- Sofia.
The international competition for violinists is a part of the project “Shakona” and other initiatives of Club UNESCO “Leonardo da Vinci” Sofia, that has the goal to revive the national and international memory of the great Bulgarian violinist and composer Vasco Abadjiev (1926-1978).
The competition will take place once every two years.
The fourth contest will take place in Sofia (Bulgaria) from 23 to 26 November 2017 at the National Music School “Lyubomir Pipkov” – Sofia.
CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION
For contest participation, violinists from all countries and nationalities, that to the date of opening of the contest are not older than 30 years, or born after 23.11.1987 can apply. They all have to meet the conditions of the regulations.
All who wish to participate in the contest have to submit the following documents by 20.10.2017:
- Application after the pattern.
- Short autobiography, containing data for the candidate’s education, participation in forums, adjudged awards, etc.
3.A copy of identification document- ID card, passport.
- Document for paid fee, in case I has been an advance.
- A list of the compositions that are to be performed during both rounds of the contest and at the gala concert.
/1/ The fee for participation is 50 (fifty) euro or 100 (hundred) leva and is to be paid at registration in the beginning of the first day of the competition or in advance to the following bank account:
UNICREDIT BULBANK AD, Sofia Zapaden Park 127, Slivnitsa, Blvd., IBAN: BG45UNCR70001520905134, BIC: UNCRBGSF, in favor of: CLUB UNESCO “LEONARDO DA VINCI” SOFIA.
/2/ All bank fees for payment transfers are for the participants.
The participation fee is non-refundable, unless the competition is cancelled.
The documents under Art.6 have to be sent by post at the following address:
For “VASCO ABADJIEV” Competition, “Sveta Troitza”, Bl. 378, ent. D, ap. 94, Sofia-1309, Bulgaria or by e-mail at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The documents of the foreign participants have to be in English.
The candidates allowed to enter the contest will be informed in a written manner via mail till 25.10.2017.
Every candidate must pay for his/her own the transport, traveling payments and expenses for the stay during the contest, insurances and medical expenses as well as the expenses of all companions and others, if there are such. If the participant does not have pianist, such will be arranged from the organizers with additional payment of 25 (twenty-five) Euro or 50 (fifty) BGN per round, paid by the participant before each round.
CONDITIONS FOR CONDUCTING THE COMPETITION
The competition will be carried out in three rounds:
- The right to participate in the first round “Common hearing” have all violinists that have been approved to take part. The performances in this round will be with a total duration of up to 30 min. They will include:
- J. S. Bach– two part /first and second/ from the solo sonatas or Shakona from Score for solo violin №2;
- Caprice/etude/ by N. Paganini, H. Viyanyavski, V. Abadjiev, etc. or one part of the solo sonatas for violin of E. Izay- by candidate’s choice;
- V.A. Mozart – first part /with cadenza/ from the concerts for violin № 3, 4, 5, and 7 – by candidate’s choice.
- The right to participate in the second round have the candidates that have been chosen by the jury after the first round. The performances in the second round are with a total duration of up to 40 min. of:
- Complete sonata for violin and piano by L. v. Beethoven, F. Schubert, R, Shuman, J. Brams, Ed. Grig, G. Fore, C. Frank, C. Debussy, M. Ravel, P. Hindemith, B. Bartok, S. Prokofiev, D. Shostakovich, P. Vladigerov, L. Pipkov, V. Abadjiev, etc. – by candidate’s choice;
- Play Virtuoso piece – by candidate’s choice
- The right of participation in third round will have these candidates that are approved from the jury after the second round.
- Concert for violin with orchestra – first or second and third, or third and fourth part of L.v.Beethoven, J.Brams, N.Paganini, M.Bruch # 1 and #2, P. Tchaikovsky, H.Vienyavski #1 and #2, – by candidate’s choice.
- The candidates perform the compositions that are going to present in the different rounds in the order that they want, and should include them in the application form.
5. The announced program is not to be changed. The compositions for participation in all rounds are to be performed in original.
- All compositions are performed by heart /apart from the sonata/. All pieces, sonatas and concerts are to be performed with a piano accompaniment, except the concerts in third round and the Gala-Concert of laureates, that will be performed with orchestra.
- All performances are public.
- The participants bring pianos of the compositions if they will not perform solo. All candidates have the right to rehearse before every round of auditions.
- The competition is organized and conducted with the following schedule:
– 08,30h – 10,00h: registration of the candidates accepted for participation and payment of the participation fee (if it is not pre-paid via bank transfer). It is conducted by the Secretariat of the Competition in the building of NMS “Lyubomir Pipkov”.
– at 10,30h – formal opening of the competition with a presentation of the International Jury;
– at 11,00h draw of the lot for the order of participation of the candidates in the rounds of the contest
• Audition: 11,30 – 13,30h
• Pause: 13,30 – 14,30h
• Audition: 14,30-17,30h
• Pause: 17,30 – 18,00h
• Audition: 18,00 – 19,30h
• Audition: 10,00 – 12,00h
• Pause: 12,00 – 14,00h
• Audition: 14,00-16,30h
• Pause: 16,30 – 17,00h
• Audition: 17,00 – 19,00h
– Audition: 14,00 – 16,30h
– Pause: 16,30 – 17,00h
– Audition: from 17,00 – 19,00
- The finalists are announced after the end of the third round. The bestowment of the awards will take place during the closing Gala-concert of the laureates on which the participation of the finalists is required and complimentary.
JURY AND EVALUATIONS
The jury consists of music teachers and violinists that are famous internationally.
The evaluations of the jury are formed by rules, accepted and established by the organizers.
The jury’s decisions are final and not to be contested. The jury has the right to interrupt the performance of the participants if it is over the competition’s time, appointed under Art.13, p.1 and p.2 in the current regulations.
A member of the jury, who in the last two years has been teaching or has any other relation to a candidate in the contest, must announce it before the beginning of the performance and withdraw from evaluating the respective candidate.
The jury adjudges the following prizes
- First prize: 1500 (thousand five hundred) euro, a statuette, diploma-charter, rank of laureate.
- Second prize: 1000 (thousand) euro, a statuette, diploma-charter, rank of laureate.
- Third prize: 500 (five hundred) euro, a statuette, diploma-charter, rank of laureate.
- Prize for young talent: 300 (three hundred) euro.
- Special Prizeswill be announced later.
All participants will receive a “PARTICIPATION DIPLOMA”.
The jury has the authorisation to divide, as well as not to announce some of the awards. Other encouraging and special awards constituted by institutions, private parties and sponsors can be proposed and coordinated with the jury’s opinion and announced additionally.
The organizers could introduce changes to these regulations if needed.
The organizers do not hold responsibility for occurring damages to any individuals and stuffs on the way to the contest and back, and during the competition.
By entering the contest, the participants confirm the agreement with these regulations.
All copyrights are owned by the organizers.
The candidates confirm the acceptance of all the regulations by signing the application for participation in the contest.
Every candidate gives permission to the organizers to store and use personal data, to record their performances and take photographs, register, render and show the concert and parts of it within the media domain, in internet, in printed publications, for the purposes of conducting the contest, advertising and popularization of it, as well as for announcing its results.
Sound and video recordings of the performances are made by authorized persons; the organizers have exclusive rights for their safe-keeping and duplication. Recording by unauthorized individuals, as well as picture taking during auditions is not allowed.
For the interpretation of these regulations the only valid language is Bulgarian.
DOWNLOAD doc file – Participation form EN